Being in a relationship where one spouse is frum and the other one is OTD can be a rough spot to be in. Depending on the community you are in, it could either result in serious repercussions or ‘just’ be a difficult situation that both of you need to get adjusted to.
Generally speaking, as always with OTD people, it is advisable to make sure you have a plan for the worst case scenario. And therapy, both personal, as well as marriage counseling could be beneficial.
If you live in a very strict, charedi community, you may risk the following:
- Lose your whole social network
- Lose custody of your kids
- Kid(s) expelled from school
- Loss of job
- Financial difficulties, especially if you have high lawyer costs
- I’m In a Mixed Marriage — and It’s Not What You Think (The Forward)